I’ve been spending a bit of time pulling together some goals and planning for 2010. One danger of goals and plans is that they can be forgotten. You can print them out, but then if the print-out isn’t in front of you you’ll forget. You could use a snazzy web 2.0 app to remind you, but if you lose access, you lose your reminder.
So, how can I remind myself of what my goals are for 2010. I need a hook so that I can be reminded constantly. I remembered (and that’s key here) how memory works better when you can associate one thing with another. The more connections you can make the stronger the memory. (If there are any memory experts out there, please correct me if I’m getting this wrong.)
It’s 2010, and will be for the whole year. Therefore, how can I use that as a stimulus? Within a few minutes of thinking about this I pretty much had a plan for the year. And not just a plan but a means of reminding myself about the plan and goals within it.
It was all about the number 10. Everything that I wanted to plan and do this year would be connected to the number 10. It could be a multiple, a date in the month or divided by. So, here are my goals and plans for 2010 – personal but there is crossover into the professional.
- 1 Live my life true to my personal mission statement
- 10 complete 10 personal projects in 2010
- 100 Look at the 100 things challenge (possibly the original challenge or any of the others, or perhaps one of my own)
- 100 Develop a network of 100 influential people to share and develop ideas with (I am an I [INTP] networking is not me, but this year it will be)
- 1,000 Finish the year with a disaster fund of £1,000 (This is above savings and debt reduction – link to follow when I work out daytum)
- 1,000 Have 1,000 fans for a project (This could be for any of the projects above as I work through them)
- 10,000 Unique visitors on my sites. This is an aspiration but is not limited to this site, it will be a goal for all my sites
- 100,000 Have an annual income of, well I can dream. Without dreams we simply spend eight hours each night doing nothing 🙂
- 1,000,000 This number comes into play if any of the above go viral. Yes, it is another dream but as Joseph said in his musical, any dream will do
Oh, and if you haven’t noticed it is the 10th today. I’ll be reviewing these goals and plans on the 10th of each month. The simplicity of this is that anything related to the number 10 fits into it and can be used. Let’s see how it goes.