A Fiction Writing Prompt to stretch the literary muscles. No rules. No word counts. Simply write and explore.
I opened the letter and read. I had to be careful not to smudge the words, as tears of joy rolled down my cheeks
Writing prompt Expanded
Some things make us so happy that our emotions overflow. But what can make us so happy? Today’s Friday Fiction Writing Prompt is all about exploring mail that makes us so happy we cry.
Our main character, written in the first person, is reading a letter and it is happy mail. But what words could bring tears of joy to someone’s eyes?
- is it the news they have been waiting for?
- the news they never dared would arrive?
- is it a confirmation of something or a positive change in fortune?
- in a digital age what is so important that it arrived via the post?
- or, is this a past event being described, before the advent of email, texting and messaging?
The choice, as always, is yours. Put pen to paper or finger to keyboard and write, that’s the only rule. As always these writing prompts are optional and entirely open to your own interpretation. Use them as a starting point for a short story or something a little more grandiose. If you do write something, please share it or a link, in the comments or tag me #ffwp. I’d love to read what you create. Write and enjoy the learning process.
Thank you for reading this post. Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this post please support my writing by making a donation of any amount.